House of Providence | |
![]() | ![]() |
| At the invitation of Bishop John Walsh, the Sisters of St. Joseph arrived in London in 1868. Shortly thereafter, they founded Mount Hope, as a home for orphans and for the elderly. In 1899, it became known as the House of Providence. The House of Providence was housed in a property that was originally built in circa 1854, the home of William Barker. This building was expanded in 1877, to accommodate more residents. The original Barker House was demolished in 1963 when Marian Villa was built, while the 1877 extension was demolished by 1980, with the construction of St. Mary’s Hospital. Marian Villa and St. Mary’s are now part of the Mount Hope Centre for Long Term, which forms part of St. Joseph’s Health Care London. Mount Hope is presently operating as a 375-bed facility for long-term care. (Information courtesy of Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada Archives) | |
Mother House of the Sisters of St. Joseph | |
![]() | ![]() |
| In 1914, the Sisters of St. Joseph acquired Sacred Heart Convent (formerly, the convent of the Sacred Heart Sisters), which served as their Motherhouse until 1953, located at the corner of Dundas and Colborne streets. In 1953, the sisters moved to Mount St. Joseph, at the corner of Richmond and Windermere Streets, where they operated a school, as well as a guesthouse for families of patients at St. Joseph’s Hospital. In 2005, they moved to their current building, on Windermere Street. Since 2014, St. Joseph’s Hospice has operated from their new residence. The Sisters of St. Joseph of the Diocese of London are now part of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada. (Information and Photo Courtesy of Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada Archives) | |
Mount St. Joseph Orphan Home | |
![]() | [coming soon] |
| Shortly after the arrival of the Sisters of St. Joseph in London, they founded Mount St. Joseph Orphanage, which opened on April 29, 1900. This was opened on the property of the former Hellmuth Ladies College, founded in 1869. The property had a main building and a chapel in a separate building. In 1953, Mount St. Joseph also became the Motherhouse for the Sisters of St. Joseph, with the orphanage moving to Fontbonne Hall, at 531 Queen’s Ave. The sisters ran the orphanage until 1965, at which point it became Madame Vanier Children’s Services – today known as Vanier Children’s Mental Wellness, located on Trafalgar Street. (Information courtesy of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada Archives) | |